Monday, July 11, 2011

Day 8- Great Rain and The Great Wall

Yesterday I went to The Great Wall with three friends from the residency.  We went to a part that is about an hour from where we live.  We took a city bus and I got to see many small towns as we wound our way up the mountains.  It was very hot and I had no clue what I was in for.  When we reached our destination I realized I was in for a special treat.  They had brought me to a part that was not common for foreigners.  I was the only white girl.  As we started to walk the wall unfolded but so did the sky.  We ran for shelter.  We waited under a tin roof next to a lake for a big storm to pass.  When it passed we hiked up to a small metal ladder that we had to climb one at a time to get on the wall.  When you reached the top it felt like you could touch the clouds.  We had to climb parts of the wall on our hands and knees.  It was amazing.  More amazing then I ever even thought it would be.  We were the only ones on the wall because of the rain.  We danced and sang.  It was refreshing.  I am came home exhausted!  I will try to post pictures but the internet is so so so slow it is hard sometimes!

No comments:

Post a Comment