Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Day 4- Polyester Jump Suits and first poem

I actually stayed up until 10:30 last night at got out of bed today at 6an not five.  Maybe I am adjusting to the time change.  Everything is just enough different that I always seem to be off.  I can not make my tongue speak mandarin, each step is a bit closer,  I have been trying to learn Tai Chi from a master here but my body just does not want to move that slow.  Here is a poem I wrote about this yesterday-

Year of the Rabbit-
She said you are sly, shifty
in a place where hands shaped like flower blossoms
move with great force and unbearable slowness that
contradicts your simple breath
all awhile coal trains blow your concentration
and his goats add to the morning sound tract
with interchangeable tea cups always being refilled
and coffee both weak and to strong
you search for the balance you may have misplaced in a box
or suitcase
or possibly never had
he tells you to practice everyday
small bit by small bit
you search for symmetry in the characters
the words
the sounds your tongue can not make
that your hand can not follow and your body struggles to hold
lying in a straight line you are no longer bothered
but comforted in a land you once tried to dig to
you have now arrived
half a day early
on the other side

The polyester jump suits is another story.  Some how Emily and I were convinced to be part of a video project where we wore middle school Chinese uniforms and walked on a mountain.  When we get the pictures I will post.  The things you do for art and with a language barrier.  We laughed so hard we were both crying.  Just means now they will all square dance for me :)

1 comment:

  1. Like your poem
    Enjoy the strangeness and similarity of the middle kingdom

    ReplyDelete