Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Day 14 and 15- Welcome to Beijing

Last couple of days have been rather hectic.  I was driven from the village to what feels like the largest city and hottest city I have ever seen, Beijing.  After checking into my hotel that has a real bed, hot water, fully working plumbing, a little fridge and ac, I thought I had gone to heaven. Xiaobei, the director and my friend Bai came with me.  After dropping off all my bags we went off to explore.  We walked through huge malls and down small alleys.  We stopped for dinner at a small restaurant and had noodle soup.  Bai stayed with me that night.  We laughed for a long time about how to say bed, bad, and bird. In the morning Bai took me shopping at the PanJia Yuan Antique Market.  We took the subway there.  I am not sure if I have ever been in any space with so many people.  People were pressed against my back and front.  They were all pushing.  I was getting close to puking when we got off.  I decided no more subway in Beijing for me.  Luckily my hotel is only a few blocks from most things! On our way to the market we stopped at a glasses complex.  A mall of all glasses stores.  I bought a new pair for $20!  Then of to the market to bargain for some jade.  By 1am I was beat.  We came back to the hotel and Bai left for the residency and I slept for three hours.  I woke up hungry.  I did something I would never do.  I stumbled upon a mall food court with a subway and DQ and I ate both! 

No comments:

Post a Comment