Sunday, July 17, 2011

Day 12- Square Dancing

Time is hard to explain here or even understand. I was asked if I still want to teach people how to dance in an email. Of course I said yes think it might happen in a few days but no it happened last night. Ann had sent me some simple calls for dances and Emily had some old fiddle music on her music. I had not figured out how I planed to teach a group of Chinese to square dance much less how to call. But it seemed to come together. When we reached the town square some woman where already dancing. Only woman. As the word spread that we were going to teach dancing the amount of people tripled. Basically I taught through example. We did the Virgina Reel and a circle dance. We never successfully completed one dance but we sure did laugh a lot. There was lots of clapping and smiling which I believe might be the core of square dancing anyways. After our dance the woman tried to teach Emily and I Chinese dance. We were both failures but it was fun to try. I am not graceful enough to be a Chinese woman. My arms do not float and when I wip open a fan trust me it is no smooth. I put up some photos from the Chinese dancing. The square dance videos will have to be posted when I get home and have faster internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment